Monday, February 8, 2010

Celebrity Sighting

Okay it wasn't a legit Hollywood celebrity sighting but we can pretend. Today after class I had just gotten some lunch in Stadium and was walking back to my room in Straz when I saw Santiago walking towards me with his iPod headphones in. (I really want to know what he was listening to (I hope that doesn't make me sound like a stalker...)) I have to say I honestly didn't expect him to acknowledge me because I wasn't sure he would recognize me outside of class. I have film professors, who I've had more than once, not recognize me outside of class. I figure I sit kind of in the back corner and don't say much during class so there's no way he'd know who I was. Well sure enough he stopped, removed his earbud, and inquired about my Opera paper. After a short less-than-2-minute discussion I revealed the details of my paper about Aida and we went on our way. It sounds like a pretty boring story in the grand scheme of things, because it is a boring story, but I always find it strange when I see my professors outside of class. I don't know why but it's something I'm not used to yet especially after 12 years in public school where the teachers most definitely live in the school.

Anyway I am writing about the Opera Aida for my paper due in a couple days. I have to say although Aida is a well composed Opera lyrically, musically, and performance-wise; I was immensely bored. I do believe if it had been a movie it would have been a pretty good film, however, because we live in such a fast-paced technologically advanced society, whenever I am made to watch something at a slower pace, such as the Opera, I am naturally bored. It is unfortunate that this generation has less appreciation for that kind of performance because I can understand the great amount of work put into the production however dull it may seem to someone like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment