Monday, April 26, 2010

The Nude MoMA Exhibits

I read the NY Times article about the incidents when museum visitors have shown a lack of restraint, to say the least, when observing nude exhibits. As I read on I started to think to myself how immature these people must have been. First of all, if you have a membership to the Museum of Modern Art in New York City it should imply that you have some appreciation for art. Second of all it is commonly assumed that adults are mature enough to handle things such as nudity, profanity, and other adult content in public settings. To harrass nude performers in an art exhibit is just plain immature and shows a lack of self-control and discipline.

I can remember back in the 5th grade when I visited the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. In the lobby was a projected video image of a woman sculpting something from clay while entirely nude. My entire 5th grade class was able to show more maturity looking at this naked woman in the art museum than some of these people at MoMA. If 5th graders know enough to be respectful, so should these supposed art buffs.

It takes a good deal of courage to show one's naked body in front of strangers in the name of art. So to comment and poke fun at these performers or comment on their imperfections is just unacceptable to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment